1. I'm not sure I can be attractive enough to distract you from mortality on a daily basis. Maybe in a series of carefully selected and arranged photographs, but not three feet from your face every morning. I will work on it. Or, well, I will ponder different things "attractive" can mean. "A lighthearted honesty of spirit" might be one.
This morning I wrote a message to a friend I met when we were
thirteen. When she came to my house for the first time, we rolled to
see who would go first in Monopoly and came up with the same number ten
times in a row. (Did that happen?) At that time, my mother and I lived
in an apartment in a large, black converted barn by the Neckar River in
Heidelberg. We had a sizable terrace which looked toward the river and
the Alte Brücke (old bridge). Sounds interesting,
right? At the time I just wanted a bigger room and was tired of "all
the castles." (Eventually we moved to another apartment in the same
building, and I had a larger room with a skylight. I could lie in bed
and watch the weather. I remember appreciating it at least once.)
3. I looked at a blog of another friend this morning.
I met him when I was in my 30s at a poetry reading in Brooklyn in a
spacious loft overlooking the Williamsburg Bridge, and I thought that's
what New York would be like. This friend tried to get me to buy a
lambskin jacket on sale, but I refused. I was eventually driven out of
New York, possibly as a result. Last night I dreamed that I kept
running into this same friend all over Europe. He was in tour groups
being led through the sights and could not stop to talk. Therefore, I
made fun of his girlfriend's name.
4. The other morning, Curious George was having a
fever dream. He dreamed that he and a cat went down his own throat.
First they stood for a bit behind his teeth and looked around. It was
the cat who figured out how to run the machine that would take them
5. People Magazine reports that Drew Barrymore is really getting into whale vomit (ambergris).
6. There have been complications with the plan. But I
have this coffee and this blueberry muffin. I put oatmeal in the
muffins. I hope that's ok. But, to paraphrase Katharine Hepburn,
"Always please yourself because then at least one person is pleased."
7. "Don't act ugly." --something my grandmother used to say about unkindness