April 18th poem

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Afternoon with Family

Mitchell Hammock Road, I say.  Or Mitchell Hammond Road?

Hammock! Mom replies.  A hammock is like an island in a  swamp!

*
Mom says, Look at all this construction.  They're building a bunch of stuff exactly like a bunch of other stuff that already exists.

*
Me:  There's another park.

Mom: That's a vulture! 

Me: Park, Mom.

Mom: I thought you said bird. 

*
I poke at the buttons to the satellite radio, stopping to listen to the beginning of an Artie Shaw song.  To the four year-old, I say, Do you hear that?  That's the clarinet.  

I don't want to hear the clarinet! he replies.  Why is this clarinet still happening? 

Maybe it was Benny Goodman.

*
When I was a little boy, my stepfather says decorously, we always ate dinner together, even though we didn't like one another.  Starting out serious, and then veering off.

*
Frank O'Hara said, Go by feel.  Or was that my mom?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground