(for Todd Colby)
1. Todd Colby goes, "I read an article in the New York Times that there are more ghosts reported in Brooklyn than anywhere on the planet!"
2. Great. Haha. I didn't say anything about GHOSTS. I just said I couldn't SLEEP because Clif's in BUFFALO.
3. But now I'm thinking about the ghosts again.
4. The first night we slept here, I had a dream about the people who had lived here before. I discovered all their old clothes from the '40s. The woman, especially, was happy that I knew who they were.
5. But the attic still felt sad and unsettled.
6. Until we unpacked our stuff and vacuumed. Then it felt ok again.
7. Until Clif went to BUFFALO. And left me here with the GHOSTS.
8. Sometimes it's just trapped sadness, like the feeling of Elizabeth Bishop's mother that wells up at dusk in her childhood home.
9. My other friend goes, "Poor Joanna. Every place you live turns out to be haunted. Must be hard."
10. Anyway. Ghosts don't like to be talked about.