Florida to New York: Top ten

Thursday, June 11, 2009

1.  Singing Lady GaGa and Dolly Parton in the car with Brother on the way to the airport.  ("I'm so sorry, Daddy.  I'm so s-s-sorry, yeah.  We just like to party, like to p-p-party, yeah."  And, "Here you come again, looking better than a body has a right to, and shaking me up so, that all I really know . . .")

2.  Brother circling back around to pick me up again when I realized my flight was delayed 1.5 hours.  Going to Borders to pass the time, and fighting the urge to buy Twilight magnets.  (What am I going to do with Twilight magnets?)  Almost bought The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins-- I've never read it, and I'm in the mood to read Victorian lit-- but they only had a crappy mass-market copy.  

3.  There was an eleven-ish year-old kid in my row on the plane.  I loved him.  When I sat down, he said, "Hi!" in this very genuine way.  Then he said to his mom, "Remember that movie Snakes on a Plane?  I hope there are no snakes on this plane.  [pause] Just kidding."  

4.  Kind of got in trouble for getting up to pee before seatbelt sign was turned off.  (Male flight attendant:  "Let me remind you that the seatbelt sign is ON," exaggerated rounding of mouth with "ON."  Me (after quickly dismissing other snitty responses): "OK, thanks.  Well, I'm just going to duck in here now!")

5.  Ada Limón's poem in the New Yorker.  

6.  Seeing stuff in the New Yorker I wanted to do when I got back to NY.  Vowing to do some of it. 

7.  Woman next to me (the kid's mom, who I also loved-- she had an incredibly sweet, genuine smile) asked if she could put the Yankees game on my tv while she watched one of the Rocky movies on hers.  Then she looked at my headphones and said, "You know, those work for the tv, if you want to watch something.  You don't have to buy their headphones."  She encouraged me to try them and see if they worked.  They did.  I flipped through the channels, settling on "So You Think You Can Dance."  Then the mom and kid said, in unison, "So You Think You Can Dance!!"  It cheered me immensely.  

8.   Love JetBlue (aside from that one snitty flight attendant).  TV.  Extra room.  Blue potato chips.  (Woman next to me:  "Are they really blue?"  Me:  "Yeah.  Says here, 'Made from naturally blue potatoes.' ")

9.  Looking around at the variety of people at baggage claiming and thinking, "I kind of like New York.  I can't help it."

10.  Cab driver asking, "215th Street?"  
      

  

1 comment :

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground